Approved secondary education courses include:
- an accredited course through a secondary school or TAFE, higher education institution or special school
- home schooling approved by the relevant state or territory educational authority
- an 'English as a second language' course
- preparatory courses for tertiary education
- school-based apprenticeship or traineeship; and
- some language, literacy and numeracy courses.
Approved tertiary education courses include:
- Statement of Attainment and other accredited training programs
- tertiary level Open Learning courses
- certificate and advanced certificate courses
- diploma courses; and
- undergraduate bachelor degree courses.
Approved vocational and educational training courses include:
- vocational education and training courses; and
Post-graduate university courses and advanced diplomas are not eligible courses for these bursaries.